Purchasing a Vehicle and Vehicle Maintenance


Purchasing a Vehicle

Purchasing a vehicle in Norway is expensive, and so are the taxes put on vehicles. Cars are taxed according to the weight of the car and the size of the engine – the larger and more powerful the car, the higher the fees.

The best place to view vehicle advertisements is on FINN.no, under ‘Bil’. There you can find all types of vehicles for sale from both private individuals as well as car dealerships.  To purchase brand-new cars, you can contact the car dealerships in your area.  It is possible to negotiate the prices on the vehicles with both private individuals and car dealerships.

Note that one needs to have a Norwegian Personal number to register a car in Norway and/or to get a car loan. You can get a loan from your bank or through the car dealership agent. Be sure to check the different interest rates available.

When a vehicle changes ownership, the change must be reported to Statens Vegvensen ( Norwegian Public Roads Administration). This should be done within 3 days of the change of ownership. Both the previous and the new owner, and any co-owners, must sign the same notification of sale. The previous owner is responsible for submitting the notification of sale to the Norwegian Public Roads Administration.

The vehicle registration certificate consists of two parts. Part 2 must be submitted in connection with a change of ownership. Part 1 is a document that follows the car. Part 2 must be kept separately from the vehicle. On re-registration, the buyer receives a temporary registration certificate. This document must be kept by the buyer until he/she receives the new registration certificate by post. NOTE! It is not permitted to drive in another country with a temporary vehicle registration certificate.

Motor vehicle liability insurance must be taken out with an insurance company.

When Statens Vegvesen has received the notification of sale, the new owner will receive a bank giro for the re-registration fee. To re-register your vehicle, both the Annual Motor Vehicle Tax and the re-registration fee must be paid.

Note: after 2017 you no longer have to pay annual vehicle tax. Instead you pay a traffic insurance tax via your car insurance starting 1 January 2018.

To re-register your vehicle, you must present valid identification to Statens Vegvesen (Norwegian Public Roads Administration).

Car Maintenance

What do you need to know about maintaining your car in Norway?

Årsavgift (Annual fee)
After 2017 you no longer have to pay annual vehicle tax. Instead you pay a traffic insurance tax via your car insurance starting 1 January 2018.

Vehicle Card (Vognkort)
It is compulsory to have your driver’s license and the vehicle’s vognkort when you are driving. The vehicle’s owner information, vehicle information and technical information are listed on the card.

If you do not have this vognkort, you will need to inform Statens Vegvesen. Click here for the form.

EU Inspection
Check when your car needs to be sent for its EU-inspection here.

The EU Inspection is a biennial (once in 2 years) check of your vehicle’s safety and environmental features. Note that only approved car workshops (they will usually have a external sign stating if they are approved by theStatens Vegvesen or not. If in doubt, contact Statens Vegvesen to check.), NAF and other special control stations can perform an EU Inspection on your vehicle.

More information about EU-Inspection here.

Insurance (the bare minimum) is mandatory for all vehicles in Norway. You can select how much insurance coverage you would like to have for your vehicle. Be sure to check out different insurance companies as the prices can differ by quite a bit.

Changing Tyres
It is the vehicle owner who needs to evaluate if the tyres on the vehicle need to be changed or not.

Studded tyres may be used from November 1st until the first Sunday after Easter. If studded tyres are fitted there is a charge (in Oslo, Bergen and Trondhelm). Stickers are available for purchase daily, monthly or yearly.

From October 15th until May 1st you are permitted to use studded tyres in Nordland, Troms and Finnmark.

There are no restrictions for using non-studded winter tyres all year round. However, the disadvantage of using non-studded winter tyres in the summer is that the tyres will not have the same stability, lateral grip and braking ability that they will have in the winter. This is partly because the air temperature is much warmer in the summer, and asphalt has a higher temperature than in the winter.

Requirements for the tread depth on tyres
For summer tyres, the minimum requirement for tread depth is 1.6 mm.(NAF recommends a min. of 3 mm)
For winter tyres, the minimum requirement for tread depth is 3 mm. (NAF recommends a min. of 5 mm)

Storage of tyres
The first thing one should do after you have removed the wheels are to wash both the tyres and rims, and remove the stones from the tyres. The ideal storage is to hang the wheels on the wall if you have the opportunity for this, otherwise they should be set up against a wall without other stuff on top. It should be dark and dry where the tyres are stored.

If you do not have space for tyre storage in your home, you can look into tyre hotels (dekkhotell). You pay a price to have your tyres stored. They usually also include tyre cleaning and change in the price, together with reminders for you to come in for a wheel change. Different companies offer different deals and conditions.

The companies below offer this service:

Or you can search for ‘dekkhotell‘ in your area.
Service and Maintenance
How often should you service your vehicle?
It should be serviced as often as is lined out in your vehicle’s user manual, usually every 5000-8000 km or every 6-8 months.

Self-maintenance of your vehicle
At least once a month, you should:
Check the engine oil
Check the windshield wiper fluid
Check the antifreeze (coolant)
Check the brake fluid
Check the tyre pressure
Wash your vehicle – getting rid of grime and salt (in the winter) helps to keep your vehicle rust-free.
Getting your vehicle waxed before the winter also helps to protect your car’s body and prevent corrosion.

Look for car workshops in 180 or get recommendations from friends and colleagues.

Fuel is usually cheaper on weekends (especially Sunday evenings), Monday mornings and at unmanned stations.

Preparing Your Vehicle for the Winter

• Pre-winter maintenance
• Consider winter tyres
• Check tyre pressure
• Battery
• Wipers
• Protecting your car’s body
• Lubricate door locks
• How to prevent door seals from freezing
• Other things to know
• Winter Road Kit
• Adjust your driving habits

What Do You Do In Case of An Accident?
In the Car
You need to have a reflective vest and a warning triangle in your car. In addition it is a good idea to have a torchlight, traffic accident form (skademeldingsskjema), paper, pen and a measuring band.

  • Everyone who is involved in a traffic accident needs to stop and help the injured, secure the accident area and call for the ambulance or police if required.
  • Evaluate the situation.
  • Park your vehicle (if possible) such that it is not a hindrance to traffic.
  • Have your hazard lights on.
  • Remember to put on your reflective vest before going out of your car to check for damages and injuries.
  • Set up the warning triangle at least 150 metres from the accident area.
  • Call the police at 112 and ambulance at 113 if required. You only need to dial one number and the alarm central will coordinate the rest.
  • Contact a car towing service if required.
  • If you come across a traffic accident, you have a duty to stop and help should it be required. If your help is not required, you should leave the accident area immediately.

Dangerous Goods
Vehicles which are marked with an orange hazard sign are transporting dangerous goods. Contact the alarm central before you approach the vehicle. The danger area can be huge if gases were being transported.

Traffic Accident Form (skademeldingsskjema)
NAF recommends that all parties involved in a traffic accident fill out a traffic accident form (skademeldingsskjema). If all parties are in agreement of how the accident occurred, only one form needs to be filled out.

The form can be obtained from Statens Vegvesen and it is advisable to have a few copies in your vehicle.

On the form, all parties have to describe where their vehicles were and what happened. Note that the form is in Norwegian so do not sign it if you are unsure of what it means. It is not compulsory to fill out the form there and then but it helps to prevent conflict between involved parties later on.

Obtain the names, addresses and vehicle registration numbers of all involved in the accident. If the other party/parties do not wish to cooperate, fill out your own traffic accident form and send it in to your insurance company.

In the Event of Breakdowns

  • Park your vehicle such that it does not cause a hindrance to other traffic.
  • Remember to put on your reflective vest before going out of your vehicle.
  • Set up the warning triangle at least 150 metres from the accident area.

If you require assistance with your vehicle you can call the following 24 hour numbers:
* NAF: 810 00 505 (local rate)
* Falken: 02 222 (freefone)
* Viking: 06 000 (freefone)
* Or your insurance company (whether your insurance offers breakdown assistance depends on what kind of insurance you have on your vehicle)

More information can be found:
Statens Vegvesen
NAF – Norwegian Automobile Federation
Driving on Norwegian Roads